fbpx

4 Common Contaminants in Your Homes That May Make You Fall Sick

At LG Home Comfort, we make your comfort our top priority.
Contaminants in Homes
November 4, 2020

Your home is meant to be a safe and healthy space for you, but did you know that it also harbours many harmful contaminants that can make you fall sick? These contaminants in homes can cause allergies and fever, but it can even pose a threat to life in severe cases. Here are some of the most common contaminants in homes that you need to be careful about. 

1) Mould

Mould grows where moisture is usually caused by leaks in the plumbing system or a malfunctioning HVAC system. Mould not only looks ugly on the walls, but it also releases spores into the indoor air that can cause stuffy nose, cough, sore throat, and it can also trigger allergies and weakened immune systems. So, if you want to avoid mould in your home, clean it up as soon as possible. Next, contact us to check if the mould is caused by your HVAC or plumbing system. We offer all kinds of heating, cooling and water services.

2) Cockroaches

Cockroaches don’t just look scary; they are scary! Cockroaches’ poop and parts are not good for you and your family’s health. They can settle on the floors, furniture, and other surfaces. If you breathe these in, they can trigger allergic reactions, and in worst cases, they can trigger asthma. To keep your family safe from cockroaches, you need to keep your home clean and tidy.

3) Carbon Monoxide

Perhaps the most dangerous contaminant in your home is carbon monoxide. It is a colourless, tasteless, odourless gas made by your furnace, fireplace, water heater, and dryer. These appliances have filters to keep carbon monoxide at bay, but sometimes, they can cause carbon monoxide leaks if they break down. Carbon monoxide can cause headaches, shortness of breath, blurry vision, and dizziness. If the leak is not checked in time, it can even cause death within minutes. It is best to install carbon monoxide detectors in your home to warn you of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Please note that carbon monoxide is dangerous to health. If you spot a carbon monoxide leak in your home, you need to evacuate the house and dial 911 immediately. The emergency services will decontaminate your home. Next, you need to call us to fix the appliance that caused the leak.

4) Water

Who knew water could be one of the contaminants in homes that can make you fall sick, right? According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), contaminated water in homes causes over 485,000 diarrhoeal deaths every year. Bad water can cause diarrhea, cholera, dysentery, and typhoid. Your best solution to protect your family from harmful water is by having a water purification system installed in your home.

Most of these contaminants thrive if your plumbing and HVAC systems are not maintained well. So, you must ensure that they are serviced regularly. Contact LG Home Comfort to maintain and repair all your home’s comfort appliances now.